16th January 2017
10 Things To Do With Unwanted Gifts…
So Santa didn’t get your list this year and instead the world and his friend decided to freestyle a list on your behalf and alas, got it wrong!
It’s a bit ‘hashtag Awks’ but, it happens to us all…Receiving gifts that we didn’t really expect and maybe aren’t quite us…(*insert fake happy/surprised face)
We at TiCC thought we’d give you a helping hand to save any unwanted gifts being another thing to dust or coming out when the giver is around.
So here of are some of the things we have done in the past…maybe.
1. Ebay: Usually flooded with unwanted gifts in January – a great place to buy and also make money to spend on something you’ll cherish. If you can hold on to them for a few months then list the item when it’s season appropriate like the run up to Valentines, Mothers Day etc. If you have unwanted music and books then try Amazon or Music Magpie too.
2. The feel good factor: Give to an appreciative friend, send to an orphanage, hospital, charity shop or even the kids school raffle. We love giving to charity and to those in need.
3. Save for someones birthday: Regifting can be a lifesaver for a last minute gift but be careful, make sure you don’t regift in the same circles!
4. Return to the retailer: Did you know you don’t need the receipt and retailers honour purchases for up to 3 months over festive period.
5. Upcycle: Can you turn it in to something else, add it to, restyle it? There *may have been a time where a toilet brush holder actually became a vase (and it guests now comment on it!) We love this idea too… remove the contents and reuse!
6. If you get flooded with wine, choccies or biscuits, hold on to them (if you don’t manage to consume in the festive period). Give to a neighbour when they water the plants/feed the cat/just because…
7. Grannys knitted scarf: A blanket for the dog..? Ok, maybe your neighbours dog just incase your astute Granny clocks it when she pops in! Oh and make sure you snap a pic of you wearing it (prior to the dog napping on it) to send to Granny. That said, we vote charity again, especially a homeless shelter.
8. Perfume: We’ve been known to use it as room freshener in the bathroom!
9. A present swapping party: We all love a party so why not get a group of your friends together in January, all bring an unwanted gift and swap – If nothing else you’ll come out with another you don’t want and a whole tonne of giggles.
10. The mug: The collection of mugs in the office is somewhat eclectic..We have no doubt the the mug with the built in biscuit compartment was a lovingly bought gift for a co-worker once upon a time.
What do you do? Any ideas that you can share with us to help during this awkward time?
Image credits: Pinterest.