How To Wear Leggings
My fashion revelation this week is my love of the legging craze, which to my surprise has endured many seasons, trends and years. To be honest I despised the return of leggings all those years ago but I have recently turned a corner and become a huge fan of the tight fitting garment that dresses the nation.
I disliked the garment because of one major factor – women were wearing leggings as a trouser – a definite faux pas, a style scandal and no one seemed to care that they were see through!!!! It was a fashion outrage (a slight exaggeration but you see my point)!!!
Over the years I have seen variations of thicker leggings, tube pants and disco pants enter the fashion world and I am extremely thankful!! Leggings look great if they are good quality and worn in the right way.
Here are a few tips that demonstrate my legging journey and changed my opinion dramatically.
- I will REPEAT buy good quality leggings that will last and are NOT see through. Even if your top is long enough a simple gust of wind or bending over to tie your shoe lace will leave you red faced.
- Team with loose fitted, longer tops for a sophisticated look skimming over your derriere.
- If you feel that these tops do not suit your body shape, simply layer with a cropped jacket to accentuate your waist.
- Make sure that the leggings fit well to highlight and draw attention to your legs.
- Leggings are extremely comfortable and are available in high waisted styles to create a smooth line across the stomach area.
- All ages can wear leggings as they can be teamed with dresses, tunics, long tops, skirts etc depending on your style, age and look.
- They are a great way of adding interest to your outfit as they are designed in varying prints, fabrics, patterns and colours.
- Tube pants and disco pants can be worn with shorter tops as they are much thicker taking on a trouser persona. These styles are a great alternative to leggings and much more flattering as a trouser.